February 25, 2013
YOUR FUTURE AS AN ARCHITECT THROUGH IDP & ARE.
The event had members from the National Council of Registration Boards (NCARB), NJ State Board of Architects and the American Institute of Architects (AIA) to talk to and answer questions about the ARE and IDP process.
Mr. Ivy’s discussion was intended to explain why one would get licensed, and what their career path might look like. However, as the talk progressed, it became more and more clear that not only was this sound advice for students of architecture, but they were also inspirational words of wisdom for the seasoned practitioner, and others in the public realm as well.
You can (and should) watch the full video of Mr. Ivy’s talk by clicking here (it is only 7:40 long), but the following are a few notable quotes:
– “The good news is that we are in an economy now that is picking up.”
– “Architectural firms faced a loss of 40% of their revenues; 28% of their workforce.”
– “The indicators are up and things look better.”
– “McGraw-Hill reported that there will be a shortage of architects in the very near future, perhaps as early as 2014.”
– “The Architectural Billings Index (ABI) has been on the rise for the first time since 2008.”
– “The wave is rising. You can ride the wave.”
– “What you do matters.”
– “The temptation is to say that I am waiting for the real thing to happen – the real me to emerge. The real you is happening right this minute. It resides in the opportunities you take.”
– “Hard work, desire, passion, execution, getting it done.”
– “You can find all sorts of rationales for why you shouldn’t do something. You can find better rationales for why you should.”
By admin | Posted in AIA-NJ News, Architecture in NJ, Architecture Students, Associates, Emerging Professionals, IDP / ARE, NJ Architect Newsletter, Uncategorized, Young Architects Forum | Tagged: AIA, AIA New Jersey, Career Day, Eben, IDP, ncarb, NJ State Board of Architects, NJIT, Robert Ivy, Soriano | Comments (1)
Architects are skilled professionals who listen to you, interpret your wishes, help realize your building dreams, and add value at every stage of a project.