January 24, 2018
Welcome to 2018 from AIA Architects League of Northern New Jersey (ALNNJ), a local section of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. As we start the new year, we’d like to give you a quick preview of some of the events and benefits available with ALNNJ membership.
- The ALNNJ hosts seven dinner meetings and events for members every year. These take place in different locations throughout our territory, featuring a wide range of speakers and offering continuing education credits. These dinner meetings are free to attend for all ALNNJ members although you must RSVP in advance. The first of these meetings will take place on Thursday, February 15th at 6PM at Factory 220 in Passaic and the speaker will be the editor of Real Estate NJ. In 2018, additional member meetings and events are currently scheduled to take place on Thursday, March 22nd, Thursday, April 19th, Thursday, June 14th, Thursday, September 20th, Thursday, October 18th and Thursday, November 15th. Email announcements are sent to all members, so check your inbox for additional information and meeting details.
- Your ALNNJ membership also gets you into the annual Trade Show, a joint event between AIA Architects League of Northern New Jersey and AIA Newark and Suburban. It is a chance to attend seminars for continuing education credits and to meet directly with representatives from a wide variety of vendors and to see the latest in products and services available for architects. This year’s Trade Show will be held on Thursday, May 10th at the Glenpointe Marriott in Teaneck, look for additional information later this spring.
- The ALNNJ has a strong base of Emerging Professionals who are architecture students, Associate AIA members, and Architects licensed for ten years or less. Membership offers opportunities for networking with other like-minded professionals, monthly program, and social events, gaining leadership training and interacting with seasoned architects at monthly meetings. For a useful resource that could assist in your career advancement visit the EPiC (Emerging Professionals Community) website at https://epic-aia-nj.weebly.com
- Your ALNNJ membership includes a subscription to Leagueline, our quarterly printed newsletter that is mailed to all members. The 1Q issue featured articles about downtown redevelopment in New Jersey as well as articles about ALNNJ past and scheduled events. Past issues are available to read anytime at the ALNNJ website at http://alnnj.org/wordpress/leagueline
- The annual ALNNJ Golf Outing provides a unique way to network with peers and others within the architectural community. Held at Crystal Springs Golf Course, members enjoy eighteen holes, lunch, dinner and a myriad of prizes. Proceeds from this event benefit our scholarship program and students looking to join the profession. This year’s event is scheduled for Monday, July 16th.
- Since 1955, the ALNNJ has offered academic scholarships to deserving architecture students. The 2018 ALNNJ Scholarship Program is now open and is available for high school seniors and college students attending an NAAB accredited architecture school in Fall 2018 and who live in Bergen, Hudson, Passaic or Sussex Counties. Applications are due on Tuesday, May 8th– if you know of any qualified students, please let them know about the program. Additional information and applications can be found at http://alnnj.org/wordpress/scholarships
- Our Programs Committee is hard at work developing special weekend events that will be announced later this year and will be available for ALNNJ members and guests. Past events have included tours providing special access to buildings, curated day trips and, in 2017, we offered a sailboat ride up the Hudson River.
- Every year since 2007, the ALNNJ has offered the Ted Kessler Walking Tours as a signature event for members and guests. This is held twice a year, with new tours premiering in the fall and repeated in the spring. The next tour will be “Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO” and will be held on Sunday, May 6th. Tickets will be available several weeks before the event, check your email for announcements and consider registering early as the tours traditionally sell out quickly. This year’s fall tour will follow an all-new, yet to be announced route and is scheduled for Saturday, November 3rd.
- The ALNNJ hosts a formal Installation Dinner every January to install the upcoming year’s Board of Trustees and to present service awards. All members are invited to attend. This year’s Installation Dinner was held on Saturday, January 6th at the Tides Estate in North Haledon.
- The ALNNJ offers additional information on their website at www.alnnj.org and maintains a presence on social media on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ALNNJ and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ALNNJ
- Our state organization AIA New Jersey offers advocacy for our profession and organizes committees and events on topics of interest statewide. Events are announced in their monthly email newsletter New Jersey Architect and additional information is available on their site at www. http://aianj.wpengine.com
- The AIA is holding its annual convention this year at the Javits Center in New York, with keynotes held at Radio City Music Hall and a party at the Hammerstein Ballroom. The convention will be held from June 20th to June 23rd and advanced registration is required. Discounted registration fees are available if you register early, and new AIA members may be eligible to register for free. Information about A’18 the AIA Conference on Architecture can be found at http://conferenceonarchitecture.com
AIA Architects League of Northern New Jersey is an all-volunteer organization working hard every day to serve our community of architects. If you have any comments, questions, ideas or suggestions to improve the Architects League, please let us know.
Thanks for your time and we look forward to seeing you in 2018,
Joseph E David, AIA
2018 President, Architects League of Northern New Jersey
By Stacey Ruhle Kliesch, AIA, AIA NJ Advocacy Consultant | Posted in AIA-NJ News, NJ Architect Newsletter, Uncategorized | Tagged: #ALNNJ, #JosephEDavidAIA | Comments (0)