April 5, 2010Garden Street Lofts, Hoboken’s first and only LEED residences, were awarded Gold certification by the U. S. Green Buildings Council, making it New Jersey’s only LEED-certified condo residences at that level. The 30-unit building, which opened just over one year ago in January 2009 is nearly 80% sold despite continued challenges in the market.
“They know they are getting sustainability and cost savings from lowered utility bills, but they don’t realize until they walk into Garden Street Lofts that it can translate to highest quality, hefty materials and durability, and improve overall quality of living.”
Among the standout Gold-level LEED attributes met by this innovative building, designed by NY-based SHoP Architects and built by Del-Sano construction, that improve quality of life for young families/residents:
· Indoor Air Quality – Each home benefits from clean air filtration and low-VOC paints and finishes.
· Innovative Building Reuse – The building maintains a high percentage of its existing shell, and turn-of-the century character, while fusing it with new, modern elements.
· Green Roof Stormwater Design – Specifically chosen greenery and soils on the building’s green roof prevent storm-water runoff, provide insulation and reduce heat-pollution, while also providing a nice haven with panoramic NYC-views for residents.
· Alternative Transportation – Proximity to an array of public transportation (PATH, NJ Waterway, NJ Light Rail, etc.), plus bike storage and on-site parking cuts commute times.
· Insulation – Heavy insulation, high-quality durable materials and glazed windows help keep the spacious lofts heated in the winters, cooler in the summers. Wall insulation, featuring 100% recycled denim fabric, also keeps outdoor nearly inaudible, giving residents more peace and quiet.
For more information on the U.S. GBC’s LEED certification process please visit www.usbc.org.
Architects are skilled professionals who listen to you, interpret your wishes, help realize your building dreams, and add value at every stage of a project.